Oil on canvas: 24(h) x 20(w) in /
61(h) x 50.8(w) cm
Signed lower left: Ivon; signed and inscribed on a label on the reverse
We will contact you shortly after receiving your request.
Telephone +44 (0)20 7493 3939
This framed painting is for sale.
Please contact us on:
+44 (0)20 7493 3939
IVON HITCHENS CBE
London 1893 –1979 Petworth
Signed lower left: Ivon; signed and inscribed IVON HITCHENS/ 169 Adelaide Rd/London NW3/ BLACK DOG. 25 on a label attached to the stretcher
Oil on canvas: 24 x 20 in / 61 x 50.8 cm
Frame size: 30 ½ x 26 ¼ in / 77.5 x 66.7 cm
Painted in 1932
Alex Reid & Lefevre, London [X 1053]
Mrs Curtis Brown, acquired from the above in April 1935
Jean Rowntree, Kent, then gifted to
Private collection, early 1990s
London, Leicester Galleries, 11th Exhibition of the 7 & 5 Society, February 1932, cat. no. 4
London, Alex Reid & Lefevre, New Paintings by Ivon Hitchens, October 1933, cat. no. 5
Black Dog, 1932 ‘was first shown at an exhibition of the Seven and Five Society, the liveliest group of painters and sculptors in Britain during the interwar years. The fresh colour, light-toned palette and lyrical handling in this painting were hallmarks of the Society at large…the more one looks at Black Dog, the more abstract and sophisticated it reveals itself to be; even the jaunty dog acts as an essential foil to the still life in the foreground.’ Peter Khoroche, Ivon Hitchens – Romantic Modernist, exhibition catalogue, Richard Green, London, 2013
Depicted in Hitchens bright Hampstead studio on Adelaide Road, full of plant pots and flowers (as well as two potted chestnut trees known as Adam and Eve), the painting looks out through glass doors onto a garden courtyard which seems to traverse the reflective boundary and occupy the interior. Inspired by the still life paintings of Georges Braque and Paul Cézanne, Hitchens’ brought to this subject a sensuous, vibrant handling of paint which combined with an audacious use of colour and a steep, cropped perspective to create an extraordinarily enthralling composition.
Ivon Hitchens, Autumn Composition,
Flowers on a Table, 1932
Tate Britain [T02215]
IVON HITCHENS CBE
London 1893 –1979 Petworth
Ivon Sydney Hitchens was the only child of landscape painter Alfred Hitchens and Ethel Margaret Seth-Smith, a talented amateur artist. Following his early education at Conamur School, Sandgate, Kent, Hitchens attended Bedales School, Hampshire from 1903 until acute appendicitis cut short his school days and sent him on a recuperative voyage to New Zealand. Hitchens’ art education began at St John’s Wood School of Art, London from 1911 and continued at the Royal Academy Schools from 1912-16. He returned to the RA Schools between 1918-19, following two years’ service in hospital supply during the First World War. Still not fully recovered from his youthful illness, Hitchens was declared unfit for active service in 1914.
After graduating from the RA Schools, Hitchens moved into a studio at 169 Adelaide Road, Hampstead in 1919 and became part of a circle of avant-garde British artists including Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore, Paul Nash and Ben Nicholson. In 1921 he exhibited for the first time with the Seven & Five Society, and was elected a member the following year. In 1925 he held his first one-man show at The Mayor Gallery, London. Hitchens was elected a member if the London Artists’ Association in 1929 and a member of the London Group in 1931. In 1937, he became an elected member of the Society of Mural Painters. The artists exhibited with the Leicester Galleries from 1940 until 1960, when he moved to the Waddington Galleries.
Hitchens married Mary Cranford Coates on 27th June 1935. He and his wife left London in 1940 with their only child, John, for a caravan at Greenleaves, Lavington Common near Petworth, Sussex, after a bomb landed next door to his Hampstead studio. 1940 also marked the first of ten one-man exhibitions for the artist at the Leicester Galleries. For the next forty years, Hitchens’ six acres of woodland near Midhurst became his home, place of study and constant source of inspiration.
In 1951 the artist won a purchase prize at the Festival of Britain exhibition, 60 paintings for ‘51. Hitchens completed a mural at Cecil Sharp House, Regent’s Park Road in 1954, and installed another mural at University of Sussex in 1962. In 1956 the British Council arranged a retrospective exhibition of his work for the Venice Biennale. In 1957 Hitchens was created CBE. A major retrospective of Hitchens’ work was arranged by the Arts Council at the Tate Gallery, London in 1963. In 1979 a third retrospective exhibition was held at RA Diploma Galleries.
Patrick Heron, Ivon Hitchens, The Penguin Modern Painters, Penguin Books, Middlesex, 1955
Alan Bowness (ed.), with an introduction by TG Rosenthal, Ivon Hitchens, Lund Humphries, London, 1973
Peter Khoroche, Ivon Hitchens, Andre Deutch, London, 1990
Peter Khoroche, Ivon Hitchens, Lund Humphries, Aldershot, 2007
 See P. Khoroche, Ivon Hitchens, Lund Humphries, Aldershot, 2007, p. 50. Photograph no. 36 by John Somerset Murray.